Saturday 20 April 2013

ANZAC Biscuits



I woke up today, looked out the window and snuggled back down into my doona. Then a light bulb appeared at the top of my head (metaphorically of course), it's raining, it's cold, what perfect weather to bake! Seeing as it's ANZAC day just around the corner I thought I would share my recipe for ANZAC Biscuits.
It's been five days since I had surgery to remove my wisdom teeth and today was the first day I felt like actually doing something! I've been struggling to get any food into my stomach so I decided to make these cookies easy to eat, meaning they are nice and soft, unlike the hard ANZAC Biscuits you can buy, these lovelies are more the chewy/break in your mouth kind.

So lets start off with the ingredients:


  • 1 Cup Plain Flour
  • 1 Cup Rolled Oats
  • 1 Cup Desiccated Coconut
  • 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
  • 125g Butter
  • 2 Tablespoons Golden Syrup
  • 1Teaspoon Bi-carb Soda
  • 2 Tablespoons of Water 

This recipe is really easy and has only a few steps.
So we start by pre-heating your oven to 180 degrees and lining two baking trays with baking paper.
We then sift the flour into a large bowl.
Now stir in the Oats, Coconut and Brown Sugar.

 
Chop the Butter into cubes and place with the Golden Syrup in a small saucepan. Melt the Butter and Syrup mixture over a low heat until all the butter has melted. Then remove from heat.
 
 


Add the Bi-Carb Soda and the water together in a small bowl and then add to the butter mixture, stir well. The mixture may froth a little and make some foam, don't worry about this, it's normal! Add the butter mixture immediately to the dry ingredients and stir well.

A wet dough should form.

Take one tablespoon of mixture and roll into a ball and place on your baking tray. Continue to do this until all your mixture is gone. The mixture is wet and your hands will be left butter and sticky, it's all in the fun of baking! Take a fork and flatten each ball down.


 
Bake in the oven for about 12 minutes or until they have just turned golden in colour. Once baked, remove from the oven and leave to sit for about 2 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely or if your inpatient - scoff them down while they are all warm inside!
 
Helpful Hint: Transferring the biscuits to a wire rack after they have just finished in the oven ensures they will have a chewy texture. If you leave them to cool on the baking tray you cooked them on they will become crunchy biscuits. The choice is yours, however you like your biscuits!
 
 
These delicious biscuits went down a treat! The first solid food I've had in days, for my own good I'm not going to count how many I've consumed within the last hour...
I hope you enjoy making these scrumptious ANZAC Biscuits and I hope you and your family all have a lovely ANZAC Day and remember how lucky we are to be here.
 
Love
Hungry Cakes
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment