Thursday 28 March 2013

Vanilla Cupcakes With Buttercream Frosting



How exciting! My first post as Hungry Cakes! I thought I would start with something simple, so here is the delicious recipe for Vanilla Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting.

Ingredients for Cupcakes:
  • 125g Butter at room temperature
  • 1/2 Cup of caster sugar
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
  • 2 Cups Self Raising Flour
  • 1/2 Cup Full cream milk
  1. To start, preheat your oven to a moderate temperature at around 180 degrees and line a muffin tray with your choice of patty case. I've chosen large brown patty cases for my cupcakes.
  2. Cream (beat using an electric mixer) the butter and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.
  3. In a separate bowl, using a fork, lightly beat the eggs and vanilla essence together.
  4. Add the egg mixture to the butter mixture and beat well.
  5. Sift flour in a separate bowl.
  6.  Fold the flour alternately into the butter mixture with the milk.
You should be left with a smooth yellow batter.


Now when filling the patty cases with your mixture, I find the best way to get evenly sized cakes is to use a 1/4 measuring cup. The size measuring cup you wish to use will varying depending on the size of your cases. Using the 1/4 cup size I made 11 cupcakes out of this mixture.
 
Bake in your oven for around 15 minutes or until a skewer comes out nice and clean when inserted.
Leave to cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
 

 
 
Make one quantity of Butter Cream Frosting and it's piping time! 
 
To pipe, I used a large star nozzle and my trusty disposable piping bags, they honestly save so much cleaning up time! I did a basic swirl, which although I say 'basic' took me a long long time to perfect.
Why you ask? For some reason the weather has decided to go semi-heat wave on us, and trying to pipe with delicate Buttercream in 36 degrees is not as easy as it sounds. Lets just say these cakes were in and out of the fridge more times than I can count on my hands!
Eventually it worked out and as I nibble on one of these scrumptious cupcakes now, I'm excited at all the recipes to come!
Welcome to Hungry Cakes! I look forward to baking again for you very soon!
 
Love Laura xx

 

2 comments: